Section nine

General Sir James Brind GCB 1808-1888

James Brind was the sixth son and twelfth child of Walter and Susannah. He followed the lead of his brother Frederic and joined the Bengal Artillery in 1827, top of the intake from Addiscombe (the EIC Military Seminary near Croydon). His promotion was terribly slow, and it was 15 years before he became a Captain and nearly 27 before he was a Major. A copy of a paintng of him c 1827 in the uniform of the Bengal Artillery is attached along with one as a Colonel c1860 and General(I).

Sir James married five times and had seventeen children, his family are shown on the Annex at the end of this section with the Brind descendants of his sons. Part of his War Office Record of Service is attached as proof of the children of his first four marriages, but their births are also shown in church records.
    He married his first wife Johanna Waller in Meerut India in 1833 She was a daughter of Joseph Conway Waller and Anna (nee Vrignon) who were married in Calcutta, India, in 1808. Waller is listed in later Bengal Directories and Registers as a European Inhabitant of Bengal, his employment was not given.

In the RC Cathedral in Calcutta there is a memorial inscribed in Portuguese, in English it reads:
'Here lies the body of Joanna Vrignon wife of Gabriel Vrignon, daughter of Pedro and Maria Da Costa born in Madro on 16 Jan 1753, married 14 Feb 1773, died 11 Nov 1794. Virtuous wife, much loved and respected mother of 3 sons and 8 daughters. 1 son and 1 daughter died before her (etc)'.

Anna Vrignon/Waller was probably one of the 8 daughters.(da Cosa and Vrignon are Portuguese and French names.) (British Library Oriental & India Office Records)

The Honourable East India Company was dissolved in 1858 and its armies became part of Her Majesty's Forces. The Bengal Artillery was amalgamated with the Royal Artillery in 1861. It is of interest that Sir James held the appointment of Inspector-General of Artillery in India and that some seventy years later his grandson, Sir John Brind, also held the same appointment.

In 1877 Sir James was awarded Gold Empress of India Medal when Queen Victoria was proclaimed Empress of India, these medals were very rare and were not worn on uniform. After his retirement Sir James Brind became a Life Governor of the Corps of Commissionaires, an ex-serviceman's corps in which his nephew Lieutenant Colonel Frederick S.S. Brind, the son of Brigadier Frederic Brind, was greatly interested and spent years of his life. History has again repeated itself, and that same grandson referred to above, also became a Life Governor.

It is of general interest that in the 1881 Census there were 446 Brinds living in the UK with an average age of just a shade over 25. The eldest Brind of a family group living in Monmouthshire was a farmer born at Wanborough, Wilsthire.

The Dictionary of National Biography gives a very good summary of Sir James's career and a copy is attached along with other extracts, etc, but three other items are of interest:

a. In 1858 Major J.H.MacKinley and Lieutenant James Brindwere authorised to visit Kanawar (Kandwar or Kinnaur) andadjacent parts of the Himalayan chain as was practicable (2);this area was outside EIC territory and was near theunmarked frontier of the local Indian state with Tibet.In one record it states that this was an intelligencegathering mission.

b. During the time that Sir James commanded the Divisionat Ambala a curious incident occurred which is referredto in the following terms in a letter to the "Times"published on the 24th October 1907. "An incident may herebe mentioned, which is known to but few, and is probablyunique, that grand old soldier Field-marshal Sir Hugh Rose,afterwards Lord Strathnairn, when Commander-in-Ohief inIndia, had so high an opinion of General Sir James Brind'sservices that he asked-him then a General of Division underhis own command, to exchange swords with him, which wasaccordingly done." However:

(i). Sir Hugh 8ose was CinC India from Jun I860 untilMar 1865 when he left India for his next post as CinCIreland.

(ii). Sir James was a Brigadier General in 1865, a MajorGeneral in Jun 1867 and he commanded a division atAllahabad from Dec 1875 and at Ambala in 1877 until theend of 1878.

(iii). Sir James left a regulation General Officer'ssword No 15996 made by Wilkinson Sword, their registershows that it was not completed until Nov 1869. Therecord does not show who purchased the sword. TheNational Army Museum have confirmed that a BrigadierGeneral would have required this type of sword as partof his uniform, therfore Sir James probably bought onefrom a local military outfitter in India in 1865. Thissword was then exchanged with either General Lord NapierCinC India from Apr 1870 to Apr 1876, or, more likelyGeneral Sir Frederick Haines CinC India from Apr 1876,both became Field-Marshals,

c.In the same letter to the "Times" an example is givenof his cosideration for his subordinates - "seeing asentry on duty in Battery NoI during the siege of Delhi,weary and exhausted from overwork, he ordered him to retireand take a rest, saying that he, his Commanding Officer,would do his duty in his absence".

    (I) The 1827 painting, sword, medal and decoration, but not the campaign medals which have been lost are held by R.M.A.Brind. He also has a miniature and some correspondence from the mutiny onwards. The hotograph of him when a Colonel is held by the Oriental & India Office Branch of the British Library and D. J. and M.J.S. Brind both have the one as a general.

    (2) Taken from 'Addiscombe its heroes and Men of Note'. Also Oriental and India Office Branch of the British Library F/4/1829, 75535.


Extract from " The Great Mutiny India 1857 " by C Hibbert

The Ridge
Before the siege-train arrived we could always tell when old Brind was Field Officer of the day by the constant fire he kept up from the Ridge [the Adjutant of the 75th recorded]. There was an order that there was to be no unnecessary firing and Brind never fired the first shot, but once let the enemy commence and he was ready for him. He used to lie reading his Bible in the battery at Hindu Rao's house, and, quiet as a lamb, suddenly the look=out man would cry, 'Shot from the Mori!' or 'Shell from the Kashmir!' or whatever it was, and then, first carefully marking the passage he had been reading, and putting his Bible under his pillow, the fine old soldier jumped on the parapet of the battery - no dodging behind walls with him - and, straight as a ramrod, he paced up and down within full view of friend and foe. But woe be to you if you presumed to show even a head above the work, he was down on you like a shot, and soon let you know that he was the only one there who had a right to put himself in danger. Quietly, without the least show of excitement, he'd give the order, 'No. 1 gun, are you ready?' The answer would come, `All ready, sir!' Then, 'Fire!' And up went the glass to note the effects of the shot.29"
The Assault

'The engineers drew up - plans for the construction of heavy siege batteries below the Ridge with light batteries to cover them on the higher ground above. The main heavy battery was to be constructed below Hindu Rao's house less than half a mile from a fortification known as the Mori Bastion which commanded part of the northern wall of Delhi between the Kabul and Kashmir Gates. Construction of this battery began after dark on 7 September. The men digging into the hard earthenware 'in a fever of anxiety that the noise they made would at any moment bring down on them a storm of shot and shell from the enemy guns. The incessant groaning of the strings of camels that carried down the fascines and gabions was 'enough to wake the dead', while the row made by the bullock carts dragging down first the ammunition, then the siege guns, seemed `loud enough to be heard in Simla'. Yet Lieutenant Coghill on the Ridge above heard nothing but the occasional dead thud of a pick. 'Fortunately,' as he explained, 'a strong wind blowing from the city towards our trenches. prevented the rebels hearing the noise, though we could distinctly hear their voices, talking and singing as if nothing was about to happen.'
Throughout the night the work continued, but as dawn approached not a single gun had been dragged into its allotted position. And, while bullocks bellowed under the whips of their frantic drivers, while engineers hammered at the platforms, and artillerymen stored shot and shell into the magazines, the sun came up. Soon afterwards the first gun was dragged on to its platform as the enemy in the Mori Bastion, aware at last of what had been happening in the night, opened so fierce fire on the battery that Wilson wondered whether the gun ought to be withdrawn before it was destroyed. In command of the battery, however, was a resourceful, experienced officer, Major Brind, whose coolness under fire had already excited the admiration of the army.' Note A

"Brind was equally calm and determined now: there was no need to withdraw the guns, he assured Wilson. They would soon be in position; the enemy's fire could be endured until they were. And so it was endured. Gradually the guns were mounted; by midday nearly all had opened fire, 'bucket after bucket of water being drenched over them and wet blankets laid on them to try to cool the metal'. Before nightfall the masonry of the Mori Bastion had begun to crumble, and the enemy's artillery there had ceased to fire.30"
"Various sudden deaths in the 75th gave Captain Barter command of the regiment ; and as its senior surviving officer he presented himself at the army headquarters which had been established in Skinner's House near St James's Church. Here he found Brigadier Wilson pacing up and down a large room in a troubled manner'. Deeply concerned by the day's casualties which already amounted to over sixty officers and more than a thousand men, Wilson evidently had 'serious thoughts of retiring to the camp'. The walls between the Water Bastion and the Kabul Gate were temporarily in his hands and the positions occupied were being slowly strengthened. But the failure of Reid's column left him open to attack from the south, while a force of sepoys far stronger than his own still held most of the city to the east. As he mournfully elaborated his difficulties, a note was handed to him from that stern old Puritan, Major Brind: "God has given you a great victory. See that you do not throw it away."52
'This decided the General who was himself an old Bengal artilleryman,' Barter commented, 'and the recall, which I feel sure would not have been obeyed, was never sounded."53

29/52 Barter MS Memoirs 30 Coghill MS Letters 53 ibid
In Major General B P Hughes book "The Bengal Horse Artillery 1800 - 1861" on page 143 it mentions that Major Brind "stayed in action, completely in the open, laying the 8 inch howitzer (the first gun into action) himself until his fire had such an effect on the guns of the Mori Bastion that the rest of the guns could be brought down into the position without loss."


BRIND, Sir JAMES (1808-1888), general, colonel-commandant royal (late Bengal) artillery, son of Walter Brind, silk merchant of Paternoster Row, London, was born on 10 July 1808. After passing through the military college of the East India Company at Addiscombe, he received a commission as second lieutenant in the Bengal artillery on 3 July 1827. His further commissions were dated: first lieutenant 15 Oct. 1833, brevet captain 3 July 1842, captain 3 July 1845, brevet major 20 June 1854, major 26 June 1856, lieutenant-colonel 18 Aug. 1858, brevet colonel 26 April 1859, colonel 18 Feb. 1861, major-general 1 June 1867, lieutenant-general and general 1 Oct. 1877, colonel-commandant royal artillery 3 Oct. 1877.

Brind arrived in India on 14 Aug. 1827, and was sent to the upper provinces. On 28 Feb. 1834 he was posted to the 7th company, 6th battalion Bengal artillery. After being attached for some three years to the revenue survey, he was appointed adjutant to the 5th battalion of artillery on 13 April 1840, and division adjutant to the artillery, at Agra and Mathra in July 1842 ; but ill-health compelled him to resign the adjutancy in November 1843, and he went home on furlough in the following year. In August 1851 Brind commanded the artillery of the field force under Colonel (afterwards Sir) Sydney J Cotton against the Mohmands of the Kabul river; be was mentioned in despatches, and received the medal and clasp and a brevet majority for his services.

He was commanding a battery at Jalandhar in June 1857 when the troops there mutinied. He went thence to the siege of Delhi, where be commanded the foot artillery of the Delhi field force, and from the time when the siege batteries were ready until the assault on 14 Sept. 1857 be commanded No. 1 siege. battery, consisting of five 18-pounder guns, one 8-inch howitzer, and four 24-pounder guns. It was called after him 'Brind's Bnttery.' All accounts testify to Brind's unceasing vigilance. He seemed never to sleep. Careful in the extreme of his men, he exposed himself unhesitatingly to every danger. It was said by another Delhi veteran, 'Talk of Victoria Crosses; if Brind had his due he would be covered with them from bead to foot.' He commanded the force of artillery and infantry on 20 Sept. which attacked and carried the Jamma Masjid. On the following day, as soon as the city of Delhi was completely captured, the difficult task was allotted to him of ensuring the safety of the gateways. He cleared the city of murderers and incendiaries, and made all the military posts secure from attack.' On all occasions,' wrote another Delhi hero, 'the exertions of this noble officer were indefatigable. He was always to be found where his presence was most required, and the example he set to his officers and men was beyond all praise. A finer soldier I never saw.'

From December 1867 to March 1858 he commanded a light column in the Mozaffar-nagar. In ApriI he commanded the artillery of the force under Brigadier-general (afterwards Sir) Robert Walpole [q. v.], was present at the unsuccessful attack on Fort Ruiya on 15 April, and at the defeat of the rebels at Alaganj on the 22nd, after which the column joined the commander-in-chief. Brind commanded the artillery brigade in the march through Rohilkhand, and at the battle of Bareli on 5 May, and the capture of that city. He was employed in clearing it of rebels on that and the following day. In October 1868 Brind commanded the artillery of Colonel Colin Troup's force in Oude, and took part in the actions of Madaipur on 19 Oct., Rasalpur on the 26th, the capture of Mithaoli on 9 Nov., and the affair of Alaganj on the 17th. He commanded a light column on the following day in pursuit of the rebels, and defeated them near Mehudi, capturing nine guns, after which he rejoined Troup and moved by Talgaon via Biswan, where Firoz Shah was posted, and took part in the action of 1 Dec. The column then moved north, driving the remaining rebels towards Nipal and terminating the campaign.

For his services in the Sepoy war, for which he was frequently mentioned in despatches, Brind was made a companion of the order of the Bath, military division, on 24 March 1868, and received the thanks of government, a brevet colonelcy, and the medal with clasp. He afterwards served for some years in the north-west provinces as inspector-general of artillery with the rank of brigadier-general. He was promoted to be a knight commander of the order of the Bath, military division, on 2 June 1869. On 26 Dec 1873 he was given the command of the Sirhind division of the Bengal army, which he held until the end of 1878, when he retired upon a pension and returned to England. He was decorated with the grand cross of the order of the Bath on 24 May 1884. He died at Brighton on 3 Aug. 1885.

Brind was five times married: (1) in 1833 to Joanna (d. 1849), daughter of Captain Waller; (2) in 1862 to a niece (d. 1864) of Admiral Carter; (3) in 1859 to Georgina (d. 1859), daughter of Henry George Philips, vicar of Mildenball; (4) in 1864 to Jane (d. 1868), daughter of the Rev. D. H. Maunsell of Balbriggan, co. Dublin; (5) in 1873 to Eleanor Elizabeth Lumley, daughter of the Rev. Henry Thomas Burne of Grittleton, Wiltshire, who survived him.

[India Office Records; Despatches; Army Lists; Times, 6 Ang. 1888; Stubbs's Hist. of the Bengal Artillery; Kaye's Hist. of the Sepoy War; Malleson's Hist. of the Indian Mntiny and other works on the Mutiny.] R. H. V.
From The Dictionary of National Biography Vol XXII Sup.

BRIND, Sir James (1808-1888). General, G.C.B. Colonel Comdt. Artillery. b. London 10 Jul. 1808. Cadet 1826. 2nd Lieut. 3 July 1827. Lieut. 15 Oct. 1833 Capt. 3 July 1845. Major 26 June 1856. Lt. Col. 18 Aug. 1858. Col. 18 Feb. 1861. Col. Comdt. 3 Oct. 1867. Maj Gen. 1 Jun 1867. Lt. Gen. 1 Oct 1877. Gen. l Oct 1877. d. Brighton 3 Aug. 1888.

Son of Walter Brind. Brother of Frederick Brind, q.v. in. Ist, Meerut, 20 Apr. 1833, Jane (Joanna), eldest, dau. of Joseph Conway Waller. (She died Ambala 29 Dec. 1849.) m 2nd, Simla, 11 Sept. 1852, Mary Georgiana, dau. of Benjamin Carter (She died Peshawar 2 Mar. 1854.) m. 3rd, Ootacamund, 24 Oct. 1861, Georgina, dau. of Rev. Henry George Philips, vicar of Mildenhall. (She died Simla in 1862: kld. by a fall with her horse down the khud.) m. 4th 1867, Jane, elder dau. of Rev. Daniel Henry Maunsell, of Ballybriggan, co. Dublin.   (She died 6 Nov. 1868.) m. 5th, 16 Oct. 1873, Eleanor Elizabeth Lumley 5th dau. of Rev. Henry Thomas Burne, of Grittleton, Wilts. (She died Bath, Mar. 1921.) Services : See D.N.B. C.B. 24 Mar. 1858. K.C.B. 2 June 1869. G.C.B. 13. 24 May 1888. Good Service Pension 11 Jan 1865.

From Officers of the Bengal Army 1758 - 1834 Part I by Major V C P Hodson.

The Family of General Sir James Brind

James Frederick. He left England for New Zealand in 1852 with the Richmond family and stayed with them in Taranaki for several years (C.W.Richmond's journal & letters in the General Assembly Library, Wellington, NZ. The Richmond-Atkinson Papers, 2 Vols, Wellington Govt Printer, 1960). In 1857 he was listed as an Ensign/ Cadet of Infantry in Bengal, India, but robably as a result of illness he had to leave military service. At his death in 1861 at Merrut, India from sun stroke he was shown as an Assistant Superintendent of Govt Tea Plantations. After his death his wife returned to NZ and in 1963 a descendant of his daughter attended a family wedding in the UK.
Alfred Walter MICE. He attended EIC College at Addiscombe and passed the competitive examination of 'Stanley Engineers'. In 1859 he joined the Engineers Establishment of the Public Works Department in India. He worked on various parts of the Ganges Canal and retired in 1879 having been Executive Engineer of the Meerut Division of the Canal. On his return to the UK he took other employment and did some research into the family history. A photograph of him is in this section. His only son

Walter Lannoy emigrated to the USA in 1899 at the age of 25 after working for the London Assurance Corporation. He had been trained for the Foreign Office and had lived on the Continent for some years and spoke French, German and Spanish but he was not called up for examination within the age limits. In 1906 he wrote a short pamphlet "The Land of Prosperity" (with a portrait) - the only known copy in this country is in the New Bodleian Library at Oxford. From 1909 he worked in the film industry and was in the early years General European Representative of one of the original companies with his office in Berlin. Later he ran a photography business in New York. In his 80s he was still trying to earn a small income from his hobby - manufacturing aquarist and author of Ichthyologhical literature. His wife was of Swiss origin.

William Henry. See Section 9A

Edward Agincourt. See Section 9B

Charles George. Joined the Border Regiment and fought in the Waziristan Expedition of 1894/95. He retired as a Colonel in 1903.

Michael Joseph. Joined the Indian Telegraph Department and by 1903 was one of its four Directors. His son Charles Edward Slade emigrated to Canada in I892, aged 18 and worked on a farm in Manitoba for four years. He then went to the Ontario Veterinary College and qualified as a Veterinary Surgeon, after which he worked in Cleveland, Ohio, USA, were a son Aubrey Michael was born. In 1913 he joined the Canadian Federal Department of Agriculture and was employed at Regina, Saskatchewan and then Winnipeg, Manitoba, by 1919 he was in Tornoto, Ontario, and remained there for the rest of his life. The maiden name of his wife was either Stranson, Strauson or Stawson. His son Aubrey was a Commercial Traveller and interested in fishing and shooting.

Frederick. Section 9C
Percy Edwin Owen. Educated at All Hallows School, Devon, where his name is on the Chapel War Memorial. He failed to obtain a commission in the normal way and so joined the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders as a Private. He rose to Sergeant, possibly Colour Sergeant, but died of enteric fever three days after the relief of Ladysmith from the Boar seige. It is believed that he had been recommended for a commission. His picture is attached.
Ralph Montecute. Educated at All Hallows School where his name is also on the Chapel War Memorial. In 1915 he was a Captain in the 37th (att 41st) Dogras, Indian Army and was serving on the Western front, in December he left France with the Indian Corps for Mesopotamia where he was killed in January 1916. He was mentioned in Dispatches and awarded the MC. He may have played Hockey for the Indian Army. His picture is in this section.

Paul Hughenden. See Section 9D.

The descendants of his sons are shown at. the Annex. It is of some interest to note that no marriage ended in divorce until his grandchildren's time when there were two in Column B of the Annex, one each side of the Atlantic.

Indian Church records are held by the Oriental and India Office Branch of the British Library.

The Dictionary of National Biography1961 - 1970
BRIND, SIR (ERIC JAMES) PATRICK(1892-1963), admiral, was born at Paignton 12May 1892, the third son of Colonel EdwardAgincourt Brind of the 88th ConnaughtRangers, and his wife, Florence Lund. Brind'sfather settled in Dorchester after retiring fromthe army.

Brind entered the Royal Navy as a cadet in1905, passing through Osborne and DartmouthColleges before joining his first sea-going shipas a midshipman on 5 September 1909. InMay 1916, as a young lieutenant, he was at theBattle of Jutland in the new 15-inch battleshipMalaya which suffered damage.

Early promotion to commander on 30 June1927 indicated that he was well thought of,and this was further substantiated when he waspromoted captain on 31 December 1933, at theage of forty-one, at a time when the numberof promotions had been much reduced.

Brind's appointment to the AdmiraltyTactical Division in May 1934 gave furtherindication of a promising future, and offeredscope for his insistence that the new aircraftcarriers of the Formidable class should be fittedwith armoured flight decks, an indispensablebenefit in the war that followed.

As a captain, Brind commanded the cruiserOrion, and later the cruiser Birmingham. Hetook the latter to Tsingtao in 1939, at a timewhen China and Japan were at war, to investigate the arrest of a British merchant ship by theJapanese. He called on the Japanese admiraland announced his intention of rescuing theBritish ship despite the presence of Japaneseheavy cruisers and a carrier, and the threatto blow the Birmingham out of the water.Brind insisted on the release of the merchantship and sailed the next day, escorting her tosafety.

In December 1940 Brind became chief ofstaff to Admiral (Sir) John Tovey, C.-in-C.Home Fleet, and was thus involved in thelong chase and the destruction of the Bismarckon 27 May 1941. He was created CBE for hispart in the action.

Having been promoted rear-admiral on 6February 1942, Brind was appointed assistantchief of naval staff in May 1942, and servedin the Admiralty until August 1944, taking alarge part in the planning for Operation Neptune(the Normandy landings). In July 1944 he wasmade CB in recognition of this work. FromOctober 1944 until January 1946 Brind hadcommand of a squadron of ships of the BritishPacific Fleet, and was engaged in offensiveoperations in the long task of defeating theJapanese. He was present at the conclusion ofthe war with the Japanese in August 1945 andattended the act of surrender in Tokyo.

Brind was promoted vice-admiral on 16October 1945, and was advanced to KCB inJune 1946. In October 1946 he was appointedpresident of the Royal Naval College atGreenwich, and held this appointment untilhe assumed the naval command C.-in-C.Far East Station in January 1949. He retained the latter, perhaps his most importantjob, until 1951, the year in which he wascreated GBE. He was promoted full admiralon 20 March 1949. It was in 1949 that theAmethyst was held hostage by Communists 150miles up the River Yangtze for three months.
Realising that negotiations were fruitless, Brindturned a blind eye to official policy, andinitiated and organised the Amethyst's spectacular withdrawal from the Yangtze-a triumphant success.

When the Korean war broke out in June1950, Brind was ready to oppose the NorthKorean assault. He at once ordered his shipsto be placed under American command, without waiting to learn the official policy. Thewhole area was in turmoil, with Communistaggression in China and Korea, the threat toTaiwan, an emergency in Malaya, and piracy.A false move might have had major international repercussions, but Brind, who was onthe spot, seemed instinctively to sense the rightmoves. With a sizeable fleet involved in continuous operations 2,000 miles from its mainbase, Brind had to improvise rapidly. Thanksto enthusiastic support his efforts were highlysuccessful. His staff officer operations. CaptainP. Dickens, thought that Brind's performanceat this time was the peak of his career: 'To hispatience, charm, and kindness I would add anindefatigable capacity for work, and a senseof duty, directed towards God and what hebelieved to be right.' Brind's final appointment was as C.-in-C. Allied Forces NorthernEurope (1951-3), a new NATO command. Heretired in 1953 and was succeeded in the NATOappointment by his deputy. General Sir RobertMansergh.

Brind was known throughout the navy as'Daddy'. When his secretary. Captain S. A. B.Morant, was asked about the derivation of thenickname, he replied that doubtless it wasbecause he had white hair, a paternal air, andwas one of the kindest and most charming menone could ever hope to meet. His widow saidthat the nickname 'Daddy' was given to himwhen he was a lieutenant doing courses. His hairwas prematurely white and he had a benignappearance.

Brind died 4 October 1963 at Withyham nearCrowborough at the age of seventy-one. Hismemorial in Withyham church has the appropriate inscription: 'Write me as one that loveshis fellow men.'

Brind married, in 1918, Eileen Margaret,daughter of the Revd Josiah Marling Apperly,the rector of Tonge, Sittingbourne, Kent, bywhom he had one daughter, born in 1919.Brind's first wife died in 1940. In 1948 hemarried Edith Gordon (died 1979), daughter ofWilliam Duncan Lowe, Writer to the Signet,Edinburgh, and widow of Rear-AdmiralH. E. C. Blagrove who was lost in the sinkingof the Royal Oak in 1939.

[The Times, 5 and 10 September, 1963, private information.]


©D.N.B. I961-I970

See family of Sir James
Return to index Source documents
Index Section 1 Section 2 Section 3 Section 4 Section 5 Section 6 Section 7 Section 8 Section 9A Section 9B Section 10

Draft Pedigree of Brind of Wanborough & Stanton Fitz-Herbert