PARKHAM (ST. JAMES), a parish, in the union of BIDEFORD, hundred of SHEBBEAR, Great Torrington and N. divisions of DEVON, 6 miles (S. W.) from Bideford; containing 995 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel, by which it is bounded on the north, and comprises 5,330 acres, whereof 1,426 are waste; the surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, and the views are interesting and extensive, embracing the Welsh coast, Lundy Island, Clovelly, Hartland Point, and Bideford Bar. Lime is extensively burned; and excellent sand for manure is obtained on the beach. . . The church has an enriched Norman door. Two schools are supported by subscription. Bableigh, in the parish, was long held by the family of Risdon, of which the county historian of that name was a member." [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.