From Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Transcribed by Elizabeth Glover HOWARD. Checked by Val HENDERSON
WOOLFARDISWORTHY (commonly called WOOLSWORTHY), is a village and parish in Bideford union, containing, by the census of 1861, 776 inhabitants, and 5798 acres; in the deanery and hundred of Hartland, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, North Devonshire ; 6½ miles south-east from Hartland and 8 south-west from Bideford. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Holderness, late chaplain to the Convict Establishments at Portland and Dartmoor, is valued at £60 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Mrs. L.E. Hawkes. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with tower and six bells. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have places of worship here. In 1747, John Burdon left £10, the interest to be distributed amongst the poor annually. Sir G. Stucley is lord of the manor.